Reporting to the Managing Director, the Theatre Manager will be the predominant rental client-facing staff member of the Theatre Consortium of Silver Spring, responsible for venue tours, event scheduling, contracting, invoicing, and post-performance venue walk-throughs. This individual will additionally be responsible for a broad range of administrative functions, including scheduling of both rental events and their staffing needs, hiring and training new rentals staff, managing stock of theatrical consumables and coordinating annual maintenance, and maintaining policies and procedures documentation. Facility management duties will include maintaining the theatre floor, including repainting as necessary, oversight of changes to rep soft goods or seating risers, and meeting county contractors on site as needed. Other duties may be assigned. The Theatre Manager’s schedule will be largely flexible and available to be hybrid from home and the venue, with an understanding that hours may fluctuate from 10-30 depending on the week and maintaining an annual average of approximately 20 hours per week.
• Experience working in a theatre/performing arts environment.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication and organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects with a strong degree of accuracy and autonomy.
• Friendly personality and willingness to learn.
• Significant Customer Relations/client-facing experience.
• Strong time management skills and ability to work independently to meet deadlines.
• Excellent computer skills – specifically the Microsoft and Google Suites.
• Working knowledge of common-place theatrical (lighting/sound/rigging) technology and practices.
• Additionally, familiarity with video conferencing platforms (Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams), Adobe Acrobat/Creative Cloud, and/or Quickbooks Online invoicing will be considered a plus.
Hours: Flexible, Part-Time The day-to-day schedule is variable depending on theatre usage. Theatre Manager will share on-call responsibility with the Managing Director when space is in use (includes nights & weekends)
Contract Term: Contract through June 30, 2023, subject to annual renewal.
Job Duties to include:
• Handle all rental bookings, invoicing, and scheduling of staff for the theatre rentals;
• Schedule and lead tours for potential rental clients of the facility;
• Perform walk-through following load-out of all rentals to ensure space is clean and meets organization’s post-production policy;
• Maintain space calendar for theatre and rehearsal room rentals (Google Calendar);
• Maintains communication with all renters via email and phone;
• Hire/contract and manage rentals staff (Rental Manager, Lighting, Audio/Visual, Riggers, etc.) and on-board/provide basic training, as well as scheduling tech-specific training dates with Master Electrician and Lead Sound Engineer;
• Receive timesheets from contracted staff. Review and pass to Managing Director for payment;
• Maintain theatre floor and repaint as needed;
• Schedule annual maintenance week. Schedule volunteers from the Consortium Members to assist Master Electrician. Manage and lead other aspects of annual maintenance clean-up of facility;
• Maintain stock/inventory of light and sound equipment and pass along needs to Managing Director for purchase orders;
• Fills in for Rental Manager (and other technical positions, if qualified) if no staff member is available – time worked in this manner may be taken as comp time to be used later or additionally paid time;
• Maintain theatre documentation, i.e. rental policy and procedure manuals
• Lifting and moving of theatrical equipment and furniture, typically up to 30lbs unaided / 100lbs aided.
Salary & Benefits:
• Annual salary: $30,000 – prorated based on start date through contract term end of June 30, 2023
• Health/Dental Insurance Reimbursement up to $2,500/year
• Average 20 hours/week with flexible scheduling (work from home hybrid option available after training period)
• 2-weeks annual vacation
• Annual review
• Subject to annual renewal of contract and potential for transition to Full Time in the future
Applications and Inquiries: Please email resume, cover letter, and three references to Jonathan Rubin, Managing Director, at TCSSApplications@gmail.com. This position will remain open until filled, and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.