Core functional areas and responsibilities include:
- CASTING: The CPF serves as Interim Casting Director, and leads the local casting process for Olney Theatre Center’s season of plays and musicals, from scouting through auditions to contracts. In addition, the CPF schedules and/or attends AEA general auditions in New York, locally and virtually; and schedules and/or attends non-Equity generals and showcases locally. In this function, the CPF works closely with the Artistic Director, the Senior Associate Artistic Director, the Director of Music Theatre, and the Company Manager, and mentors the Artistic & Casting Apprentice. Additionally, the Center’s current Associate Artistic Director and Casting Director Jenna Place will be serving as a paid consultant to advise the CPF, generate casting lists, and support the CPF as needed.
- ADVANCED TRAINING PROGRAM: The CPF supports the theater’s Advanced Training Program, which brings 16 early-career professionals to live on campus each year in apprenticeships. The CPF interviews applicants, connects them to mentors at the theater, and supervises their year-long apprenticeships. In this function, the CPF works closely with the Senior Associate Artistic Director (who also supervises the Center’s education programs), the Company Manager, and all OTC staff members who mentor apprentices.
- NATIONAL PLAYERS: The CPF supports the National Players company once it sets off on its tour, helping artists troubleshoot production and company issues. In this function, the CPF works closely with the Senior Associate Artistic Director, the Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator, and the Director of Production.
- POST SHOW DISCUSSIONS: The CPF schedules and moderates three-to-four Saturday post-show discussions for each of the Center’s productions, and trains and mentors Artistic, Education and Dramaturgy apprentices to serve as postshow moderators.
- SPECIAL EVENT PROGRAMMING AND PRODUCING: Depending on ability, the CPF may serve as Producer for events throughout the season that are in addition to member productions: supports Director of Community Engagement in producing Behind the Scenes and Beyond the Stage, supports Senior Associate Artistic Director in producing Vanguard Arts Fund workshops, supports Director of Music Theatre in producing Applause series concerts. In this function, the CPF works closely with the Artistic Director, Senior Associate Artistic Director, the Director of Community Engagement, the Director of Curated Events, the Director of Music Theatre, the Director of Marketing, and the Director of Production.
Additional responsibilities include:
- EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: The CPF serves on the Center’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
- SEASON PLANNING/OTC: As part of the Artistic Team, the CPF participates actively with the season planning – suggesting projects, reading scripts, meeting creatives, and helping to assemble design teams.
- MENTORSHIP: The CPF mentors the Artistic Apprentice, who serves as the Artistic Department’s assistant, and co-mentors the Education Apprentice.
- ARTISTIC AMBASSADORSHIP: The CPF, both internally and externally, is part of a team that identifies and communicates key artistic visions to stakeholders, locally and nationally. This work will include keeping clear lines of communication with the Marketing and Development departments of the theater, as well as peer theaters in the DC area.
- ARTISTIC STEWARDSHIP: The CPF will work with the Company Manager to ensure artists working on productions have an easy and rewarding path through the institution, from first meet-and-greets to analysis of post-production surveys from artists.
- ARTISTIC TEAM SUPPORT: Support the Artistic Director on other projects as needed.