Theatre Washington is always interested in hearing from folks interested in joining the Board of Directors. We seek new volunteer Board members who want to support and serve the theatre industry in the Washington, DC region and people with diverse personal and professional experiences. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC); immigrants; women; and LGBTQIA ; candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Strong applicants will have an interest and qualifications in some of the following areas:
- Development and fundraising for nonprofits
- Advocacy for arts funding, particularly with DC, MD, and/or VA governments
- Management and operations in nonprofit management
- Program development and measuring impact
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion leadership
- Website development
- Communications and marketing
- Passion for supporting the theatre industry
Historically, we have had a few board members from institutional theatre leadership. We are now actively looking to add independent or freelance theatre-makers, as well. If you are an employee of a theatre organization or an independent theatre-maker, you are encouraged to apply if you are interested.
Responsibilities as a member of Theatre Washington’s Board of Directors include:
- Serving a term of three years.
- Attend quarterly Board meetings, generally scheduled late afternoons from 4pm to 6:30pm, and actively serve on at least one Board Committee. Current committees include: Advancement, Finance, Governance, Programming with subcommittees, Adjudication, Taking Care, and Fundraising and Development (currently in formation).
- Commitment to building an anti-racist and anti-oppressive organization.
- Actively engage in fundraising. We ask each board member to donate, generate or cultivate an annual contribution for Theatre Washington. During a new Board members' recruitment and onboarding, we will discuss donations and what amount the new member is comfortable in giving or getting.
- We will work with each other, staff and board, in various ways to achieve individual Board service and fundraising goals.
- Represent the organization at events and activities.
If you would like to have a conversation about Board service or suggest someone who would be a good fit, please contact Amy Austin, President and CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org.